Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Rides: Last, The Week In Riding (Dammit)

I am reminded of 10 white frozen toes clipped to a bicycle as I sit here daintily enjoying a deliciously chilling blue ceramic bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

The toes were mine and it was Tuesday night.

I was out riding with Andy Jordan and others in North Augusta, SC with bright headlights and uber winter riding gear. We rode a 20 mile loop that took us zigzagging through neighborhoods, across I-20, and up the constantly underestimated Bergen Road climb. Near the end of the ride as we rode down the Greenway, a paved recreation path that follows the Savannah River, the somewhat colder than (hell) 40 degree farenheit wind whipped and tore at those 10 toes. It was my first true night road ride and it had been fun. Even in the southern wintry conditions I learned something very important, pros don't walk Bergen.

That was for Drew and, yes, it's an inside joke.

On Thursday I was out riding in the dark again with Andy Jordan and company. We were like patchy alley cats bobbing and weaving throughout indiscriminate side streets and back alleys etched into downtown Augusta. Somehow we piled on 20 miles without leaving the city and even ascended a surprisingly tough climb to Augusta State College and the old Jordan homestead (as Andy puts it(not a curse)). It wasn't quite as cold as Tuesday, just (damn) blustery.

There is something about riding in the cold night that is almost...poetic? I'm not sure how to explain myself.

On Sunday I somehow managed to con my buddy, Zack, into breaking out the Trance for a ride at the FATS. I took my singlespeed, of course, and we took a pretty easy spin out Deep Step and Skinny Trails. Zack doesn't ride much so the pace is always significantly in the decrease, but I enjoy his company, plus, it always makes me feel special inside when I can get someone else to ride.

What else do I always do on Sunday? The Sundaily!

This week it was Radiohead's hypnotic album "Amnesiac" which I've always been a huge fan of, but never owned. Well, now I'm owning (that shit).

And that's not all the music that was had.

Oh, yes, Dan Gescheider and I lit up the storage space music scene on Jimmie Dyess Parkway on both Saturday and Sunday. We now have two (kick ass) tracks solidified and Dan also has at least two more pieces of material to be developed in the near future. I just need to come up with some ideas for my drumming on those two tracks and we will be set.

(Holy shit) We still need a vocalist!

Mom, what is it about this late night jazz music (shit) on NPR that makes me feel so mellow? It makes me feel so mellow I feel inclined to curse to balance my yin with my yang (see parentheses).

No comments: