Monday, August 01, 2011

Journeys: SEND IT - August 1st - Salt Lake City, UT

The rain that started yesterday afternoon continued throughout today lasting until mid afternoon. I did some grocery shopping then Beth Ann and I hung around a Barnes and Nobles as the sky poured. Eventually we decided it would be best to go see the movie Cowboys and Aliens since climbing seemed out for the day. So we did, we saw it in XD. When we came out of the theater the rain had stopped, but the ground was still wet. We ventured up to Big Cottonwood Canyon and drove all the way up to Solitude. The resort was much greener and grassier than I had seen it in winter of 2008. I set a stop watch and the odometer to see how long and far it was back to Sugarhouse. 20.3 miles in 26 minutes. Not much shorter than my current commute to work, but I think working at a ski resort might be more enjoyable. Beth Ann and I sat around the house reading for some time before our host, Matt, came home. He was energized after a long day at the hospital and wanted to go for a trail run. I reluctantly joined him for a Currahee-like three miles up and three miles down cardio crushing fest in Mill Creek Canyon. The run took an hour and my left knee felt surprisingly good the whole time. Back home we cooked up a tasty shrimp and pasta dinner. The forecast for tomorrow looks great and we plan to knock out many climbs in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

No comments: