Thursday, June 14, 2012

Journeys: Beehive Peak II


Today I returned to Beehive Peak to search for an easier route to the summit from the 4th of July Couloir col. I camped in my redneck RV at the trailhead and got an alpine start, hiking before the sun woke up. The snow throughout the basin was firm and frozen and I did not need my snowshoes. At the 4th of July Couloir I strapped on my crampons and dug the spikes into the frozen snow. Climbing on the firm went much faster than the slush two days ago. Near the col I looked down and saw two snowboarders hiking up the basin. I passed the narrow couloir I climbed previously then went to the other side of the col and looked at a wider couloir. The second couloir was much wider and only had a short steep section in the middle. I was confident I could climb this couloir and find a way to the summit. 

The "easier" couloir.
Again the climbing was fast on the frozen snow and I front pointed up quickly until I reached a familiar rock section below the summit. I found my previous path and climbed to the summit. From the top I watched the snowboarders climbing on the east ridge while I snacked on trail mix. I wanted to descend before the snow softened and soon left the summit. I retraced my steps through the couloir and to the bottom of the 4th of July. The snowboarders were riding down from the east ridge and pulled up to stop at the bottom of 4th of July. I asked if I they were going to ride the couloir and if I could take photos. Their names were Addison and Mike and they agreed to some photography. We all hiked out and I went to work.

Addison Sponsler - shredding.
Mike Hudik - ripping.

No comments: