Monday, June 18, 2012

Journeys: Gallatin Peak - Day II

My alarm woke me up at 0400. The sky was still starry and black. I went back to sleep. My second alarm woke me up at 0430. My eyes fluttered open and I could see the western sky was still black. I rolled over and looked east. A crescent moon hung in deep blue skies just above and orange and yellow horizon. I had the idea that I was dreaming. I realized it was real and yelled at myself to get up and put my camera together to take photos. I took photos for the next hour and a half. It was a gorgeous secluded mountain sunrise.

Crescent moon and sunrise. Near Bear Basin.

I had to wear crampons to descend from the ridge into the basin. The snow was frozen and firm. I stopped at a stream in the basin to filter a few liters of water and ate breakfast. I continued through some trees and finally arrived at the base of the south face of Gallatin Peak. The slanted snow field I had chosen led up to a false summit. From there I would have to scramble 200 yards to the summit. I started up the snow field able to walk pied a plat 99 percent of the way. At the very top of the snow field the snow curled up to some rocks and I front pointed the last 10 feet of snow. I could see up to the summit and noted that it was a steep hike not even rock scrambling as expected. I looked down into the east bowl and immediately regretted hiking in from the North Fork trailhead. The east face snow field went from the base of the mountain to about 50 feet below the summit. I reckoned it would have been a more rewarding climb, but was happy to be up here. Maybe next time I will come in from Hellroaring trailhead and climb the east face.
Over the top and unnecessary hero pose - Gallatin Peak summit.
I slowly hiked up taking in all the scenery of the Spanish Peaks and beyond. I reached the summit and grinned. It was awesome. Soon the fattest chipmunk joined me and started nibbling at my pack. I took photos of the landscape then built a platform out of small rocks for my camera so that I could snap a self portrait. I hung around up top for a while eating and relaxing. I decided to explore the south ridge during my descent. I found that one could hike up picking their way around rock outcroppings and cliffs. From afar it looks to cliffed out to walk up. Back through the basin and up the other side to my camp where I had stashed unneeded gear. As I approached camp I spotted five or six big horn sheep euws traversing the ridge towards me. It seemed like that had no idea I was there, so I remained quiet and took a handful of terrible photos.

Fat chipmunk on Gallatin Peak.
Big horn sheep ewe above Bear Basin.
I took another long break at camp while I packed my gear and ate lunch. I descended from the ridge looking for safe snow to glissade on, but had no luck. I was in the bottom of Bear Basin and had six miles ahead of me. I hung my head and ground it out. I was exhausted. When I reached the trailhead parking lot and my truck I slumped to the ground my back against a tire. I wondered if I felt a tenth as tired as mountaineers coming off of a Himalayan summit.

Falls in Bear Basin.
Route up Gallatin Peak.


2 comments:

BeckyPark2 said...

I love the early morning sky shot. Question: when you show your mountain routes in the blog are you using a photo you took or using a stock photo and adding the trail lines? Mother

Chuck Bolte said...

Photo that I took!