Monday, November 21, 2011

Journeys: Bridger Hike II

Sunday, fun day. The Cats lost to Griz big time yesterday greatly changing the playoff picture. Oh well, guess we will have to go hiking today.

Paul and I got to Bridger close to 1 PM and it was plenty warm out as expected. I had stripped down to just one Capilene layer and my jacket and ended up being too warm again. It was a really nice day and the sky was clear compared to Friday when it had been cloudy and visibility low. Paul and I started our hike slow and steady stopping for a break at the bottom of the Bridger lift. Paul's friend Cyrus caught us on his skinned up skis at the lift and we chatted for a while. Paul and I made a plan that I would hike to the top of the Bridger lift and he would hike to the mid station and wait for me to come down. We set off again and started up the steep blue section under the Bridger lift. This time it was much easier because it had been slightly groomed and there was not as much powder to fight through. I made it to the mid station and got busy with and even steeper black diamond section. Fortunately, there was already a boot pack trail leading up the slope and I did not have to blaze my own through the powder. Up and up I went. At the top of the steep slope I came to a groomed road and followed it through one switch back to the top of the Bridger lift. I took some pictures and rested.

Crazy Mountains from Bridger.
Photograph by Chas. B.

The sun dipping behind the ridge at Bridger.
Photograph by Chas. B.

Self portrait at the top of the Bridger lift.

Below was a steep powder section and I decided to drop into it. Big mistake. This high up the snow had not filled in enough to keep me away from all of the rocks and I pin balled my way down the slope. In one particularly bad tumble I bounced my knee off a rock and had to stop and walk the pain off. Back up, I dropped down to the road that I had hiked up and headed for the mid station below. There I found Paul and Cyrus waiting for me and we made the rest of the run to the parking lot together.

Another good hike in the books. Now, I just need to get some skis and skins!

No comments: