Sunday, May 06, 2012

Journeys: Grand Teton National Park

      I woke at 5 a.m. The sky was clear and I was immediately excited to take photos. I noticed frost on the windows of my camper top. I leapt out of my sleeping bag into the cold and tapped on the window of the Europeans' car. They were awake. We wasted no starting our cars and heading to the Moulton Barn. I think we all needed the comfort of our car heaters.
We joined a few other photographers at the Moulton Barn. I could have used one more layer in the cold and wrapped a blanket around my torso before heading out to set up my tripod. I stamped my feet and waited for the sun to rise. Thomas had set up our cameras near each other and discussed composing the shot. Carsten was already off in the distance trying as many different angles as he could find. Finally the sun made its appearance casting a golden glow on the barn and the mountains. Thin blue clouds floated above the Snake River and I happily snapped away. Three minutes later Thomas was happy and we packed up. It had been three days waiting for those three minutes of perfect sunlight.


The photographically famous Moulton Barn on Mormon Row.

We drove to the Oxbow Bend and took photos of Mount Moran reflecting in the river. A bald eagle arced through my shot showing its full wingspan. I was too slow. By the time I realized what the black speck was drifting through my diopter he was gone. Thomas wanted to move to Pilgrim Creek for more photos. Once there, Thomas decided Pilgrim Creek would be better shot in early morning light. This was the end of my trip to the Tetons and my visit with Thomas and Carsten. Carsten brewed a final pot of tea and we said our goodbyes.


Mount Moran reflected in the Oxbow Bend, WY.

The route through Yellowstone was still closed and I returned to Bozeman via Teton Pass into Idaho. In Bozeman I realized I was fresh out of plans, but still had over two weeks before I had to be anywhere. A road trip was in order, but where to? I could go south to Utah, New Mexico, or Arizona. No that did not appeal to me. What about the Pacific Northwest? I had never been there. I called a friend, "Yeah, drive highway 101." he said. "You'll love it." It sounded like a good idea. I stopped at my camper and spent 30 minutes repacking my gear. It was 6 p.m. when I left Belgrade headed for Polson three and a half hours away. My timing put me in the Flathead Valley during a gorgeous sunset. The Mission Mountains glowed in the east and the Ninepipes Reservoir mirrored the brilliant sky to the west. I took a spontaneous roadside photo of the sunset over the reservoir then pushed into Polson weary from driving.


Ninepipes Reservoir, Flathead Reservation, MT

No comments: