Monday, May 07, 2012

Journeys: Pacific Coast - Highway 101


     Paul and the other boys of the house were up early. I found no sleepy solace on the couch in the living room. After breakfast at Betty's Diner with Paul I returned to the house to edit photos and research destinations in the Pacific Northwest. Editing went well, but research went poorly. Maybe "scenic places in Washington" or "Washington photography" were the wrong query strings to plug into Google. I left Polson bound for somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula. 
     I took the scenic route from Polson to Coure d'Alane, ID through Thompson Pass, MT. It dawned on me while I was driving up to Thompson Pass - mainly because of posted signage on the roadway - that the pass may still be snowed in and might have to backtrack 30 miles to get back to I-90. The pass was open. I was back on I-90 in eastern Washington and the landscape transformed into desolate flat farmland. Hours later I caught sight of still snowcapped Mount Rainier towering in the hazy blue sky. To north I could make out a jagged mountain range and directly in front of me was Snoqualmie Pass. Once over Snoqualmie Pass the traffic intensified and suddenly I was in Seattle. I frantically checked the map while keeping an eye on the road and somehow wound up going the right way, south to Tacoma. Night fell as I left Tacoma for Bremerton. At 10:30 p.m. I was stopped with other motorists at a drawbridge over the Hood Canal. We did not move again until 11 p.m. By the time I hit Highway 101 I was exhausted. I drove south into Olympic National Forest and pulled into a trailhead parking lot. It was after midnight. I promptly fell asleep in the driver's seat.

No comments: