Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Journeys: Grand Teton National Park - Day 1

The sun had just come up. As usual my eyes flickered open the moments a golden sun ray graced my face. I was asleep on the ground in the Bridger Teton National Forest. Nico was asleep beside me and Anna in Rocinante. The can of bear spray lay between Nico and me. It had not been needed that night under starry skies occasionally streaked with a shooting star.

It was a day off. Anna needed to extend her visa and Nico needed a puffy down layer to survive cool weather in the Lower Saddle and on the Grand. We went to Jackson.

Sitting in a cafe, Anna pored over her visa extension application on my laptop. The mood was tense. To lighten it I asked which was more nerve wracking; trad leading or visa extending. Definitely the latter she responded amidst laughter.

Nico bought a Patagonia Nano pullover. I picked up a local cragging guidebook with hopes that we would do some sport climbing at Black Tail Butte.

The rest of the day was uneventful. We returned to camp and slept.

Jackon Lake and Mount Moran sunset.

No comments: