Sunday, August 26, 2012

Journeys: Hilgard Peak

The digital clock in the dashboard of my truck rolls over to 6:00 a.m. I remain motionless in the driver's seat. I should have started hiking 10 minutes ago, but I lazily stalled enjoying the last whispers of warmth from the heater. A glow appears to the east barely illuminating the blue haze of distant wildfires that chokes the forest. I stare numbly out the windshield at the trail head signs for the West Fork Beaver Creek trail that I will follow to Hilgard Peak. It is going to be a long day. I have been up since 4 a.m. What if I just relax here for just a few more minutes...

At 11,316 feet, Hilgard Peak is the high point of the Madison Range and the highest point in Montana OUTSIDE OF THE BEARTOOTHS. I struggled to find detailed information on climbing the peak online. I found a somewhat helpful description of a 4th class route up the east ridge in Thomas Turiano's Select Peaks of Greater Yellowstone. I was going for the summit in one big push from my truck, to the summit, and back to my truck in one day. I hoped I knew what I was getting myself into on a remote peak in southwest Montana.

My eyes flutter open then immediately dart to the clock in the dashboard. 6:30 a.m. A small shot of adrenaline jolts my system as I realize I have lingered too long. I throw open the car door and am blasted by the brisk morning air. Wide awake I strike out on the trail setting a fast pace.

Five miles later I reach Avalanche Lake. Campfires crackle, dogs bark, and the smell of coffee fills the air as weekend backpackers start their morning. I stop for a snack and prepare to begin the real adventure - two miles of cross country travel over a ridge above 10,000 feet and through a basin covered with boulder fields. I pick a point on the ridge to the north and start marching.

45 minutes of trudging and 4th class rock scrambling brings me to the top of an unnamed summit. I can see Hilgard Peak for the first time. Add Dutchman Peak, Echo Peak, and a handful of alpine lakes and one has a terrific view of the southern Madison Range. I eat another snack and toy with the idea of a long and rocky ridge traverse to Hilgard Peak. I back off after 15 minutes when I give up down climbing a blank face with committing moves. Instead I descend a steep and loose gully on the north face of the unnamed peak.

Summit of unnamed peak. Hilgard Peak in the background.
I stopped in the basin to empty all of the dirt and rock out of my shoes. I continued through the boulder fields lining the basin. The gentle pitch of the basin did not last long and soon I was march up steep slopes toward the East Col. I passed through a higher hanging basin with a teal blue lake in it then continued up to the East Col. I looked up at the east face of Hilgard Peak and tried to remember exactly where the guidebook said the route was.

I chose the northern most gully on the east face and started climbing. The gully had grass and dirt in a narrow strip in the gut. Otherwise it was 4th class all the way to the top. I proudly stood on the summit. I looked north and saw another summit just to the north separated by a small and airy notch. From the south summit, the north summit looked taller. Which summit was the taller of the two? I took some photos and scrambled around. I looked at the traverse between the two summits and finally worked up the courage to go for it. Descending the south summit was dangerously loose. I was certain one of the blocks I was climbing over was going to pitch off the mountain and take me down with it. I made it down to the notch and skipped across it. The north summit on the other side was just as loose. I was standing in a small pile of fine gravel just big enough for both of my feet. Behind me was nothing but air. I made a low 5th class move over a block and sprinted for the summit on better ground. Good luck down climbing that I thought to myself.

On the south and taller summit of Hilgard Peak.
On the north summit I found a register and signed it. The register indicated that the south summit was the taller of the two. At least I had stood on the tallest one. And now back through the airy notch. I did not stand on the south summit again. I started down in a hurry. It had already been a long day and I surely had seven or eight hard miles to get back to my truck. I retraced my steps past Avalanche Lake and back down the established trail.

The interesting summit register on the north summit.
Thankfully my truck started just fine and had no flat tires.

No comments: