Monday, May 21, 2007

Nonsense: Ebay (Something Of A Rant)

For the past few months I have had the desire to sell my 2005 Giant Trance in order to purchase a new, most likely 29 inch, single speed. So, two weeks ago, I posted the burly beast of silver aluminum on Ebay for auction. Initially, things went well, I posted a picture, set a reserve price, and watched the bids start to roll in. Finally, the bike sold last Tuesday and I sat back and sighed one of those sighs of “great relief”.

Sort of…

The buyer, who will remain unnamed, shot me an email shortly after the final bid stating that I would receive payment for the Trance on Friday and asked one final question regarding the status of the suspension on the bike. I replied, in all honesty, that the rear shock and bushings were in good condition and, other than the fact that I had to replace a leaky cap on the front fork last year, the fork was also in good condition.

Relieved that I had finally sold the Trance, I boxed the Pony up for shipment and waited patiently until Friday, to collect my payment and ship the bike to the unnamed buyer. On Friday morning I received a message from the unnamed buyer.

“I apologize dude, however; I have to be a flake and pass on your bike. I don't have the extra cash to fix shocks, that can be costly. That info probably should have been listed in the description bro. I just got back into town today or I would have wrote sooner. Sorry about the misunderstanding.”.

I am confused.

Why does the fact that I corrected an insignificant problem of a leaky cap, one year ago, require one to think that they will have to have any costly work done to the suspension on the bike?

To me, backing out of this sale is the opposite of classy and is also somewhat stupid.

The Trance was going be sold for less than half of what I paid for it in 2005 and just last month, I replaced half of the drive train with approximately $150 in new parts. Maybe I am wrong on this one, but getting this much Trance for that little cash is a STEAL. So, how could you pass on the Trance because I replaced a $7 dollar piece of metal one year ago?

Well “bro/dude”, not only do you have to be a moron, you have to be an asshole as well.

Yes, I am angry.

The Trance has been re-listed.

Stay classy Ebay.

No comments: