Thursday, December 13, 2007

Nonsense: Even Even MORE Maintenance

And so, it rained.
Photograph by Chuck Bolte.

Originally, I had two trail work days planned for the weekend, but I overslept on Saturday and missed the work party at the Upper Rock Creek Park which is about 30 minutes west of my apartment. I regrouped on Sunday morning and made the hour long drive north to Frederick and Gambrill State Park where I linked up with the Single Speed Outlaw and company for some trail knicking in the rain.

We worked for a solid four hours, building rock water bars and digging knicks on a 300 meter stretch of trail. The rain kept us cool while we worked, but erased any thoughts of post maintenance riding from our mountain biker minds. My final task for the day came while we built the last water bar, my orders were to retrieve a cooler full of beer from the van that brought us to the trailhead.

As I jogged back down the trail with the cooler in hand, the beer bottles happily clink clinked against each other like an alcoholic dinner bell. My coworkers for the day were kind enough to pounce/flock after I had set the cooler down.

Alcohol on weary stomachs made some legs weary.

The party continued at the Brewer's Alley in downtown Frederick where a large percentage of the group enjoyed the Monte Cristo.

Good people, good trail work, good beer, good food.

Life is good.

No comments: