Sunday, December 02, 2007

Nonsense: Even MORE Maintenance!

Another weekend in my new home is wrapping up and with it came rain and trail maintenance. The trail maintenance came at another MORE trail work party held, this time, at Rosaryville State Park, 30 miles south of home. I think highly of the trail quality of Rosaryville, so it was a pleasure to be a part of its maintenance. Of the eight to 10 people that showed up, two of us, Dave and I, took a B.O.B. trailer out on the trail while the others hiked into a different area to work some re-routes. Dave and I rode about half of the 8 mile perimeter loop stopping at a dozen work sites to dig knicks or to de-berm the trail.

After some three hours of maintenance the gloomy skies finally opened up and began sprinkling cold rain on our helmets. Dave and I dug out the last knick and re-stacked the B.O.B. for the final time. On the way out, we rode a new re-route and caught up with the hikers who were also on their way out. We dropped our tools at a shed before riding an asphalt shortcut back to the parking lot where my truck was parked. Out on the open pavement, I had an opportunity to test a new supposedly waterproof jacket.

Yes, the jacket successfully repelled all water. Unfortunately, I discovered when I got home, my Camelbak bladder also repelled most of its water into my backpack throughout the day.

Bleh.

No pictures due to rain.

No comments: