Saturday, August 05, 2006

Rides: It Takes Two On Range Road

Two laps that is...

After being off the bike on Friday it felt GREAT to climb on an aluminum pony again. My plan was to ride out Range Road and when I reached the end I would turn around and ride back to my barracks. Zachary was feeling too annihilated from the previous night's training so I would be riding alone.

Today, nature damn well did not know its place.

I was about nine miles into the ride when it started raining. Thunder had been rumbling across the sky like an upset stomach for the entire ride, but lightning struck, thunder cracked the sky wide open, and the rain poured. It was refreshing at first, but then on my first downhill at 35 mph I noticed that rain really does hurt. It felt like hundreds of bees were sting my arms and legs.

The thunderstorm was extremely isolated. It only lasted for approximately three miles. Of course my bike computer didn't last. It was stuck on 12.96 miles for my trip distance.

Who needs the computer anyway? Just ride as hard as you can!

I ended up doing Range Road twice. Once with the rain and once without the rain. It felt good to pump up some steep climbs again. South Carolina is so flat. My legs felt strong all the way through.

Fortunately I have Sunday and Monday off the bike, so, things should be ripping for sure come Tuesday at the Warehouse ride.

Can't wait!

No comments: