Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Rides: AJBW Group Road Ride

Zach and I rolled into the Warehouse parking lot right at 1800. The group didn't leave until 1840. Bogus.

The route was the same as usual; Sand Bar Ferry Road, Old Jackson Road, Silver Bluff Road, Pine Log Road, Church Road, Sand Bar Ferry Road.

After the warmup on Sand Bar Ferry Road a firefighter named Matt and I broke away from the peloton and started doing some pulls up in the 26/27 mph range. On a long straight away I glanced over my shoulder and noticed my friend Bobby had also broken away from the peloton and was on the attack on his lonesome. Matt and I slowed so that Bobby could catch us and then we three rode together. Matt and I lost Bobby on the Silver Bluff climb and started down Pine Log Road.

That's when I started to cramp...bad. I was most certainly dehydrated. I hadn't taken care of myself. My calves were like two fists that wouldn't unclench. It hurt like a motherfucker.

Matt waited up for a bit, but I just couldn't ride. I had to walk the cramps off for a while and drink up all my water. I told Matt to take off when Bobby and some other riders caught us.

I spun the last 12 miles of the ride at 16 mph. Not exactly smoking fast.

Better luck next time and drink some water.

No comments: