Thursday, August 03, 2006

Rides: AJBW Group Road Ride

Rain threatened before the ride started, but never came. Nature damn well knows its place.

Zach was with me on the Turquoise Falcon and we took off with the group at 1830. I could feel that my legs were very fatigued and I wasn't too sure how the ride was going to turn out. I just hoped that I didn't cramp again.

We didn't ride the usual Silver Bluff route, but rode across the 13th Street bridge into South Carolina, out Storm Branch to Pine Grove, and then made some other turns onto roads that I'm unfamiliar with until we returned to the Warehouse.

I hung with Matt and Nate for most of the ride pulling around 25 mph and above. I felt my calves tightening at about mile 12 and worried that I was in for more pain, but somehow I stayed loose and rode hard all the way back to the shop.

I got in a good 35 mph pull across the bridge which is always a smoking fast piece of road, but sorta dropped off the paceline. It took a second to catch up and when I did I recovered for about a minute and then did one last pull on the flat of Sand Bar Ferry Road at 28.5 mph. Of course Nate and Todd sprinted past me to the stop light. Nate was on a cyclocross bike with knobbies.

How does he do it.

No comments: